Monday, November 29, 2004

GREAT BIG SEA!

I went to the best concert on Saturday! We got a babysitter (thanks Mom), went out to dinner, even had desert and went to the concert and it KICKED ASS!!! The opening acts were even good. It's been sooooooooooo very long since we've been out alone together and it was really nice.

So, back to the concert. Great Big Sea is one of my all time favourite bands. They're right up there with U2, John Mayer and James Taylor for me. They're from Newfoundland and they sing a lot of really old sea shanty's, traditional and traditional style music as well as some really sweet, simple and honest ballads. Ive been to 5 of their concerts now, and they never fail to get the crowd on their feet. Here's their website http://www.greatbigsea.ca .

They played one that I'd never heard before, and it's quickly becoming a favourite. Here are the lyrics:

He was born a sailors son
Nothing came easy or free
He suffered the squalls all the rises and falls
And everything else in between
But he says storms always fade after they've had their way
They're never as bad as they seem
As long as the rivers still run to the seas
Hey Lucky You Lucky Me

Who'd ever thought for a moment
She'd have to grow up so fast
School beauty queen with a child at sixteen
Swore that her fortunes had passed
But blessings can hide in the strangest disguise
I know that she would agree
As long as the rivers still run to the seas
Hey Lucky You Lucky Me

Hey look at me in the spotlight
Ripped jeans and rock and roll hair
Feeling so cool but I’d be such a Fool
Singing to no one out there
So Hey take a bow every band needs a crowd
And I've got a song we can sing
As long as the rivers still run to the seas
Hey Lucky You Lucky Me


Anyhow, I'll all about songs that just make you feel good, just as much as I'm about songs that make you think. It's all good :)

On another interesting note, have you noticed how much easier and faster it is to eat at a resturant w/o children? It's pretty amazing! And not once did we discuss Pooh bear, choo choo trains, or poopy diapers. Astounding :)


1 comment:

Margie said...

I have spilled many a drink in the fluster of not having to swat hands away from my food, chase children to the bathroom, ask for more napkins for the fifty-millionth time... and so on!!!